Email Marketing for Beginners: How to Get Email Subscribers Fast in 2019
So, you’ve set up your blog, created terrific posts, and blasted the good news about your online venture. You are ready to scale your online business and hit the road running as a business owner and blogger. Then uh-oh, there is no money coming. You turn to successful bloggers for tips, and the first thing they ask you is, “can I see your list?” Yes, money is always in the list-the email list. In this post, we break down the tips on email marketing for beginners.
Truth be told email marketing to a beginner can be quite challenging. However, as a blogger, you need to grow, nurture, and convert your audience into raving fans. And the best way to do it is through email marketing. You need to get email subscribers and convert them to customers.
In this post, I’m going to take you through the nitty-gritty details on how to get email subscribers and grow your email list like a pro.
1. What is Email Marketing for beginners?
Email marketing refers to a type of digital marketing where a business sends email messages to a target group to convert them to buyers.
Often, marketers start by collecting emails from website traffic and turn them to subscribers. To do this, you need to have a way of convincing your website visitors to give you their emails. You can offer a freebie to your audience in exchange for an email.
The freebie is the irresistible opt-in offer that your audience needs badly to solve their problems. Some call it an incentive or an offer.
Create a fantastic freebie that your audience can’t resist. Offer a product that will quickly solve your audience’s problem and help them to save time, money, and energy. The incentives can be a cheat sheet, a planner, guide, ebook, etc.
Once you have your email list intact, you can use it to connect with your fans, create automated emails, newsletters, and products.
1. Importance of having an email list as a blogger
As a blogger and business owner, you must have an email list because duh! Money is in the list.
Here are some other reasons you need to have an email list for your business.
- Email marketing helps you connect with your audience. Connecting with your audience helps you to nurture leads and eventually convert your audience to buyers.
- It helps you generate more traffic to your site. Did you know that your website traffic is not likely to come back for more content? With an email list, you will be able to send them newsletters and updates on new features and new content on your site.
- Helps you sell more. People buy stuff from people they know and trust. An email marketing tactic will help you build trust with your audience. Sending useful content and getting to know their stage in the buying process will help you offer an ideal product to them.
- Email marketing will help you nurture leads and acquire new clients. According to a study by radicati.com, email marketing is by far the most powerful lead generating tool than social media.
- You own the email list. Unlike social media, you have authority over your email list, and it is one of the easiest ways to market your products and services.
- An email service is easily accessible. According to research done by Exact Target, 91% of people access their emails through smartphones. They will get your emails on the go.
2. How to get email subscribers as a beginner.
To get started with email marketing and get email subscribers, you need to create a funnel where people can give you their emails in exchange for an offer and an email service provider. The emails service provider will help you with email automation, analytics, segmentation, and much more.
How to collect emails from website traffic and grow your email list.
Place opt-in forms in strategic places visible to your website visitors. Optin forms convert more than any other email capturing tool. If used correctly, you can get tons of subscribers within the shortest time possible.
Some of the plugins to help you grow your email list are; Optin monster, Thrive leads, Mailchimp for WordPress, and WordPress Subscribe.
Below are some of the places to embed opt-in forms on your website.
Embed the opt-in form on the home page of your site.
Having an opt-in form on your homepage converts more as it is visible, give the visitor a reason to sign up. I have my opt-in form on a white background to reduce distractions and capture the readers’ attention.
Thrive Leads have their opt-in form on the homepage as you can see below.
Place the opt-in form on the header.
Having an opt-in form on the header of your site is another excellent way to get email subscribers. It is minimalistic with fewer to no distractions and conveys the message to the user effectively.
Place the opt-in form within a post
Putting a popular opt-in form within your blog post will help you get your reader’s attention while they are reading the post. It is useful for the traffic that comes to your site to read that specific post.
Elna Cain of Twins Mommy knows how to use this technique of collecting emails effectively.
Place the opt-in form on the sidebar
Sujoy here at the affiliate hub blog has the opt-in form on the sidebar. The minimalist style makes it simple and straight to the point. It offers fewer distractions while at the same time has an irresistible offer-free report on how to become a super affiliate.
Have your opt-in form Pop up on your site.
Pop-ups seem annoying as they suddenly pop while the user is on the site. But, when used effectively and following pop up practices, it can triple your email subscribers than any other opt-in tool.
Make sure that your pop up form doesn’t block your site users. It can have severe effects on traffic. You can have it slide in from the sides moments after the user is on the site. Alternatively, you can also have it pop up on the middle of the page to avoid distractions.
Additionally, the cancel sign should be visible so that a user who doesn’t want to sign up can easily dismiss the pop-up and continue reading the blog.
Place the opt-in form in your dedicated landing page.
You can place a signup form in a dedicated landing page. It can be a page with the details about your product or whatever you are offering as an incentive. It converts more because the reader will be able to read more about your offer in the copy before making a final decision.
Place the opt-in form on the about us Page
People love reading the About Us page because it helps them get to know you and your brand. Use that page wisely and collect more subscribers by placing an opt-in form.
The form can be embedded within the post on that page or placed at the end of the article. If your copy wows your readers, they will sign up for updates and new products.
Place the opt-in form at the footer.
Having an opt-in form on the footer of your site is another option that can convert like crazy. A user will be able to see the sign-up form once they are done scrolling to the bottom.
3. How to choose an email marketing service as a beginner
Once you have your email list, choose an email service provider that suits your business needs. As a beginner, you might be on a tight budget, and paying for an email service is a tad bit challenging. Opt for a free email service provider and upgrade to premium once you get a high number of subscribers.
1. Mailer Lite
Mailer Lite is one of the best email service providers with a freemium. The free option allows you to collect up to 1000 emails from your subscribers and be able to send up to 12000 emails a month. Upgrade once your email list grows.
Also, its features are excellent. You can create email campaigns, segment your subscribers, create fantastic landing pages, create pop-ups, and conduct surveys.
2. Convert Kit
Convert kit is another excellent email marketing service provider tailored for bloggers, creators, and all businesses alike. They offer different types of pricing with the lowest price starting at $29/month.
It allows you to better understand your audience by creating tags and segmentation. It is one of the best ways to understand your audience’s buyer stages.
3. Mail Chimp
Mail Chimp is one of the widely used email marketing services by bloggers. It has a free plan with fantastic features. You can create pop-ups, landing pages, send emails, has basic templates, and so much more. With mail chimp, you can collect up to 2,000 emails from subscribers on the free plan and 200,000+ with the premium plans.
4. Get Response
You can start with GetResponse for free and build a strong relationship with your audience. It helps you grow your audience, sell products, and promote your services in the easiest way possible. The A/B testing feature on GetResponse allows you to determine the type of email that converts the most. Additionally, the autoresponder feature will enable you to automate your emails, saving you tons of time.
Aweber is a premium email service provider that comes with a free monthly subscription to give you a taste to their excellent features. The starter package starts at $19/month for up to 500 subscribers.
It has over 700 email templates and over 6,000 stock photos to make your email marketing a breeze.
Also, you get to analyze your open rates, click-through rates, and bounce rates. Email analytics gives you a clear picture of your audience and your emails’ performances.
You can also create unlimited emails and automate them to save time. Investing in Aweber is a good step you can take.
4. Types of email marketing content to send to your subscribers
Now that you’ve got a list of subscribers, it is time to engage them and help them with their needs. Get to know them, nurture them, and finally sell your products and services to them.
To get started, you need to create a series of emails to send them.
Pro tip: Do not shove your products down their throats right away. You will appear like a spammer and blocked right away. Offer useful tips and spice them up with relevant products and affiliate links.
There are many types of emails you can send to your audience and below are some of them.
- An introduction email/Welcome emails– Let them know who you are and why you are in their mail inboxes. Share your business story with them and let them know how you can help them with their problems. Welcome email series increase open rates and boosts click-throughs.
- Guides and useful content– Point out valuable resources that can help your audience solve a particular problem or learn something new. Close the email by asking them to give you feedback/reply regarding the email content.
- Promotional emails– At this stage, you build a relationship and ready to offer your products to your audience.
- Newsletters. Share updates on your business with your audience. Send them new blog post or any original content you have to offer including freebies.
- Curated content– Share reviews on products or excellent resources you think are useful to your audience. You can add your affiliate links and make sales. People trust products from people they know or have some authority.
Repeat the process and watch your email list turn to a money-making machine.
5. How to grow your email list and get even more subscribers
Don’t stop at that; continue building your email list. Depending on the efforts you put in, you can grow a vast email list.
Here are some quick, straightforward ways to grow your email list.
- Create excellent and irresistible email content that automatically gets reshares.
- Host a contest on your blog/site
- Create engaging social media posts with a call to action.
- Create another freebie and use it as a lead. The incentives can be cheat sheets, templates, ebooks, planners, etc.
- Host webinars.
- Ask your audience to invite their friends interested in what you offer.
- You can guest post on other sites with a call to action.
6. How to keep a clean email list.
Finally, you need to keep a clean and healthy email list to generate sustainable income and be able to scale up your business.
But before that, how do you know your email list needs cleaning?
- When you have high bounce rates and low click through rates.
- When you get a bunch of spam complaints, we all hate spam, right?
Below are quick tips to help you keep a healthy and clean email list.
- Use double opt-in to ensure that real humans subscribe to your email list.
- Delete duplicate email addresses.
- Remove unsubscribed emails from your list
- Get rid of weird-looking emails from your list.
- Do not buy an email list. It is unprofessional and breaches the privacy of audiences.
- Segment your audiences to understand each of their needs.
Email Marketing for beginners.
Getting email subscribers as a beginner is not as hard as you think.
Hopefully, the above tips will help you grow your email list and scale up your business.
Have other excellent tips to share with us?
We’d love to read and respond to them in the comments section.